Fostering Kids New Zealand has been recognising the extraordinary work that caregivers do by celebrating the Excellence in Foster Care awards annually since 2007. It is now run in partnership with Oranga Tamariki, the Ministry for Vulnerable Children, in recognition of their collaborative approach to caregiving.
“The awards are a special thank you, to those who accept each child and through nurturing, time, commitment and specialised skills make a difference to that child’s life by helping them to heal,” said Fostering Kids NZ CEO Linda Surtees.
Speaking at the 2017 event, incoming Chief Executive of Oranga Tamariki, the Ministry for Vulnerable Children, Gráinne Moss, spoke about working in partnership with Fostering Kids NZ to support caregivers.
“It was really inspiring to hear the stories and learn more about each caregiver. Children and young people in care need us to be sharing stories like the ones of our wonderful people here receiving these awards. We need more people to follow in your footsteps,” she said.
The 2017 awards ceremony was held during Foster Care Awareness week, at a ceremony at Government House on Friday 10th March. The 10 recipients from throughout New Zealand received their award from Her Excellency, The Rt Hon.Dame Patsy Reedy and Minister Anne Tolley.
Here are the amazing stories from our 2017 recipients:
- Sharon and Gary Richardson’s story.
- Ann and Ron Giles’ story.
- Yasser El Shall’s story.
- Reece and Sally McChlery’s story.
- Dennis and Lauren Rei’s story.
- Rose Bennett’s story.
- Pauline and Bob Cox’s story.
- Pat Ede’s story.
- Tapaeru and William Houia’s story.
- Sally Mowbray-Lee and Brian Lee’s story.
How to make a nomination for 2018
- Download and fill out the nomination form.
- Get the caregivers involved: Being nominated is an achievement in itself, Where ever possible, include the caregiver you are nominating in your application process. They may want to include things like letters from children in their care, photos, achievements and any training they have completed. Let the caregiver know they can be proud of getting a nomination!
- Be creative: Include copies of certificates, photos and anything else that will make the caregiver really stand out. You can also include references from social workers, members of the community or fellow foster carers.
- Be detailed: You can use as much space as you need, and the more information you give the better your nomination will be. Give details about your nominees’ background, children they have fostered, achievements and why you think they deserve the award.
- Email your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here to view an example of completed form.
For further information please call Jennifer Kinsella on either 027 501 0330 or 0800 693 323. Alternatively send an email to email@example.com