“Meri Kirihimete me te Hape Nū Ia ki ngā iwi me ngā hapū katoa “Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year” to all the tribes and hapū.
With the Christmas season already here, the end of the year around the corner, and a new year upon us, it gives us the perfect time to reflect on those things that are truly important to us: family and friends, compassion for others and being a part of something larger than ourselves.
There were many highlights in 2017. These included:
- Opening a second office in Auckland. We now have offices in Nelson, Auckland, Christchurch, New Plymouth, and Tauranga.
- Introducing a new region on the East Coast.
- Having the 9th L’Oréal Face Your Future Workshop where 48 teenagers were motivated and encouraged.
- The Excellence in Foster Care Awards were held at Government House where 10 very deserving individuals/couples were celebrated for outstanding contribution to foster care.
- Membership has grown to 5058.
- 77 children receiving new bikes through Elevate Events.
- Establishing a subsidiary, Caring Families Aotearoa, a not for profit company and launching this at conference.
- We trialled “Foundation for Attachment’, a DDP informed programme using PACE to support caregivers.
- Continuing to work with Ministry for Vulnerable Children, Oranga Tamariki toward improved supports/education for caregivers.
- Another successful National Conference held in Christchurch.
- Providing a scholarship through the William Wallace Awards to a young achiever in care.
- Establishing a Family Home Advocacy position.
- Working with Ministry for Vulnerable Children, Oranga Tamariki, around the introduction of National Standards of Care.
As 2018 comes into focus, I want to take a moment to sincerely say thanks. Thank you for choosing to be a member of Fostering Kids NZ and trusting us to give you support, training, information and to advocate on your behalf. We enjoy meeting you and listening to you share your experiences and journey.
On behalf of all the staff at Fostering Kids NZ, we wish you and your family a fabulous Christmas and happy holidays. Remember to take some time for yourself too, you can only give of yourself as much as you have.
Our offices will be closed from 1.30pm Friday 22 December 2017 until the 15 January 2018. If you need urgent support please call 027 369 3323 and leave a message. This number will be checked daily.
Share this Post