Kia Ora koutou
This month I had the opportunity to meet with most of the Caregiver Social Workers who work for Oranga Tamariki and Non-Government Organisations. I thought you might be interested at what was discussed during our day together:
• Our topic was ‘Voices of Children in Care’. We had some great speakers from VOYCE-speaking about the new support service for children in care. I will be arranging a meeting for caregivers to meet with the team over the next few months.
• Mokopuna Ora, a Tainui Iwi provider has set up some support framework to ensure children are linked into their Iwi.
• Everest- a home based education programme for children under five who are under the care of MVCOT.
• Darryl Brougham shared his story of being in care and some important messages from children who have been in care.
• Some discussion about how to best support biological children of caregivers.
Out of this meeting we have created plans to address some of the issues raised and I was really impressed with the commitment from the Caregiver Social Workers to be more pro-active.
Thanks to those who supported our Good in the Hood, as you can see we have been able to receive some great funding. We received an extra $200 for our participation.
This month I would like to Profile our newest Key Contact Rosanna Pou:
“Hi…My name is Roseanna Pou. My husband James and I have been fostering our two great nephews for four years, they are 4yrs and 5yrs old. We have had Home For Life for them for two years.
We have had a very busy four years with them and know how important it is to have support. I am looking forward to meeting other foster caregivers and being able to offer support to them.”
Rosanna has a passion for supporting other caregivers and is enthusiastic about running coffee groups within the Papakura/Manurewa/Takanini/Clendon/Weymouth area. The dates for the next two morning teas at her place are:
Wednesday, 23rd August 17 from 10am-12noon and Wednesday, 20th September 17 from 10am-12noon. Please call Roseanna Pou on 027 3737 104 if you are planning to attend.
The dinner on the 11th July 17 was a nice evening to catch up with our wonderful caregivers in Pukekohe. Thanks Bayette and Joy for hosting this great evening. Contact Bayette Prince- 027933929 or Joy Ewing on 092380452 for future gatherings.
Date for next meeting is Thursday, 10th August 17 – Hauraki (Paeroa CYF offfice).
This area covers-from Pokeno, through to Cambridge, Paeroa, Coromandel, Raglan, Hamilton and every place in between. Contact Wendy-May Scott, 9276655650, Debbie Guymer, 0277500195 or Mira Elmsley on 0276602315.
We have two Facebook pages for caregivers… feel free to join and see information that is placed on there by other caregivers.
- What do you know about Maltreatment in New Zealand?
- What are the effects of family violence on children in care?
- Would you like to learn ways to break the cycle and help support and heal the child or young person that has experienced trauma?
To find out about these and more come along to a training near you. Here is the Link to our training calendar.
Te Rito Training
There was an outstanding response to our recent advertisement of the Te Rito Bicultural Competency E-Learning Modules. If you registered for this, by now you should have received your access to begin this training. If you haven’t received anything, please contact Christine at email@example.com
We are aware a few people have been experiencing problems with their access or it not saying they have completed the modules. The training organisation, is looking into this and hopes to have it rectified soon. If you continue to experience issues, please contact us so we can pass on your details.
Noho ora mai
Share this Post